Dr. Klentrou is an exercise physiologist who uses applied and basic science approaches to study human performance and health implications of sport training in children and youth. Supported by NSERC, CIHR and various sports agencies, her current research is trying to identify the cellular mechanisms that explain how exercise and diet affect bone development and lifelong bone health. With >120 publications , Dr. Klentrou is a leader in her field , and involved with many health and sports organizations including Osteoporosis Canada, and the International Gymnastics Federation.
- Health, Training and Performance in Youth
- Bone Physiology
- Integrated inflammatory and bone responses to exercise and nutritio n
- The role of adiposity and diet in skeletal growth , development and adaptation
- Sclerostin and tissue cross talk
- Former Chair and Fellow of the Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology (CSEP)
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Osteoporosis Canada
- Scientific Expert, Fédération International de Gymnastique (FIG)
- Results Manager of all Gymnastics Events, 2015 Toronto PanAm Games and Athens 2004 Summer Olympic Games
- Member, North American Society of Pediatric Exercise Medicine (NASPEM)
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Klentrou P , and Kouvelioti R , Biochemistry of Exercise Training: Effects on Bone . I n PM Tiidus , REK MacPherson, PJ LeBlanc , AR Josse ( Eds ) . Routledge Handbook on Biochemistry of Exercise , Routledge/Taylor and Francis Publishers, New York USA & Oxon UK, (ISBN 978-0-367-22383-0) pp. 513-531, 2021 .
- Kurgan N, McKee K, Calleja M, Josse AR, and Klentrou P. Cytokines, Adipokines and Bone Markers at Rest and in Response to Plyometric Exercise in Obese vs Normal Weight Adolescent Females. Frontiers Endocrinology (Obesity) , 11 December 2020. [https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2020.531926] .
- Sanderson M, McKinlay BJ, Theocharidis A, Kouvelioti R, Falk B, and Klentrou P. Changes in inflammatory cytokines and irisin in response to high-intensity swimming in adolescent and adult male swimmers. Sports , 8(12): 157, 2020. [ https://doi.org/10.3390/sports8120157].
- McKinlay B, Theocharidis A, Adebero T, Kurgan N, Fajardo VA, Roy BD, Josse AR, Logan- Sprenger H, Falk B, and Klentrou P*. Effects of Post-Exercise Whey Protein Consumption on Recovery Indices in Adolescent Swimmers. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 17(21): 1-12, 2020. [https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17217761].
- Nelson K, Kouvelioti R, Theocharidis A, Falk B, Tiidus P, and Klentrou P. Effects of plyometric exercise on Wnt signaling-related osteokines and bone turnover markers in pre and postmenopausal women. BioMed Res. Int , vol. 2020, Article ID 7917309, 10 pages, 2020. [ https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/7917309].
- Calleja M, Caetano Feitoza N, Falk B, Klentrou P, Ward WE, Sullivan P, and Josse AR. Increased dairy product consumption as part of a weight management program improves body composition in adolescent females with overweight and obesity – A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatric Obesity , June 2020. [ https:// doi: 10.1111/ijpo.12690].
- Josse AR, Kouvelioti R, Ludwa IA, Calleja M, Falk B, Ward WE, and Klentrou P. Dairy product intake decreases bone resorption following a 12-week diet and exercise intervention in overweight and obese adolescent girls. Ped. Res. , 88: 910-916, 2020. [ https://doi.org/10.1038/s41390-020-0834-5]
- Woloschuk A, Hodges GJ, Massarotto RJ, Klentrou P, and Falk B. The skin blood flow response to exercise in boys and men and the role of nitric oxide. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. , 120:753-762, 2020 . [https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-019-04286-4].
- Theocharidis A, McKinlay B, Vlachopoulos D, Josse AR, Falk B, and Klentrou P. Effects of post exercise protein supplementation on bone turnover in adolescent swimmers. J. Int. Soc. Sports Nutr . , 17: 20, 2020. [ https://doi.org/10.1186/s12970-020-00350-z ]
T, McKinlay BJ,
A, Root Z,
A, Klentrou P, and Falk B. Salivary and serum concentrations of cortisol and testosterone at rest and in response to
intense exercise in boys versus men. Ped. Exerc . Sci. , 32:65-72, 2020. [doi:10.1123/pes.2019-0091].
- Hodges GJ, Klentrou P, Cheung SS, and Falk B. Comparison of laser speckle contrast imaging and laser-Doppler fluxmetry in boys and men. Microvascular Res. , 128:103927, March 2020. [https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mvr.2019.103927]
- Kouvelioti R, Kurgan N, Falk B, Ward WE, Josse A, and Klentrou P. Cytokine and sclerostin response to high intensity interval running versus cycling. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc ., 51(12):2458-2464, 2019. [ DOI: 10.1249/mss.0000000000002076 ].
- Hodges GJ, Mallette MM, Rigby A, Klentrou P, Cheung SS, and Falk B. Comparison of different wheelchair seating on thermoregulation and perceptual responses in thermoneutral and hot conditions in children . J. Tissue Viability , 28:144-151, 2019. [https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtv.2019.04.003]
- Thomas AM, Beaudry KM, Gammage K, Klentrou P, and Josse AR. Physical activity, sport participation and perceived barriers to engagement in first year university students. J. Physical Activity Health , 16(6): 437-446, 2019.
- Kouvelioti R, LeBlanc P, Falk B, Ward WE, Josse AR, and Klentrou *. Effects of high-intensity interval running versus cycling on sclerostin, and markers of bone turnover and oxidative stress in young men. Calcified Tissue Int. , 104(6): 582-590, 2019. [https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-019-00524-1]
- Kurgan N, Noaman N, Pergande MR, Cologna SM, Coorssen JR, and Klentrou P. Changes to the human proteom in response to high intensity interval exercise: a sequential top-down proteomic analysis. Frontiers Physiol. , 02 April 2019. [https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2019.00362 ]
- Kurgan N, Bott KN, Helmeczi WE, Roy BD, Brindle ID, Klentrou P, and Fajardo VA. Low dose lithium supplementation activates Wnt/ β -catenin signalling and increases bone OPG/RANKL ratio in mice. Biochem . Biophys . Res. Comm. (BBRC) , 511(2): 394-397, 2019. [https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2019.02.066]
- Kouvelioti R, Kurgan N, Falk B, Ward WE, Josse AR, and Klentrou P. Response of sclerostin and bone turnover markers to high-intensity interval exercise in young women: does impact matter? BioMed Research International , vol. 2018, Article ID 4864952, 2018. [https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4864952]
- Klentrou P, Angrish K, Awadia N, Kurgan N, Kouvelioti R, and Falk B. Wnt signaling related osteokines at rest and following plyometric exercise in boys and girls. Ped. Exrc . Sci ., 30: 457-465, 2018 .
- Falk B, and Klentrou P. Elevation in sclerostin after exercise: is it affected by age and sex? Letter to the editor; Endocrine , 102(3):380-381, 2018.
- Hodges GJ, Kiviniemi AM, Mallette MM, Klentrou P, Falk F, and Cheung SS. Effect of passive heat exposure on cardiac autonomic function in healthy children. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. , 118:2233-2240, 2018.
- Kurgan N, Logan-Sprenger H, Falk B, and Klentrou P. Training, inflammation and bone markers in elite female rowers during an Olympic year. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc ., 50(9): 1810-1817, 2018.
- Dekker J, Nelson K, Kurgan N, Falk F, Josse A, and Klentrou P. Wnt Signaling-related osteokines and transforming growth factors before and after a single bout of plyometric exercise in child and adolescent females. Ped. Exerc . Sci. , 29: 504-512, 2017.
- Kouvelioti R, Josse AR, Klentrou P. The effects of dairy consumption with and without exercise on body composition and bone in youth: a systematic review. Curr . Dev. Nutr . Cdn.117.001214; July 2017 [ doi : https://doi.org/10.3945/cdn.117.001214] .
- Allison D, Gabriel DA, Klentrou P, Josse AR, and Ditor DS. The influence of chronic inflammation on peripheral motor nerve conduction following spinal cord injury: A randomized clinical trial. Topics Spinal Cord Injury Rehab. , 23(4): 377-385, 2017.
- Wilkinson K, Vlachopoulos D, Klentrou P, Ubago-Guisado E, de Moraes AC, Barker AR, Craig A Williams CA, Moreno LA, and Gracia -Marco L. Soft tissues, bone mineral density and geometry in active adolescent boys: The PRO-BONE study. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. , 117:833–842, 2017.
- Ludwa IA, Falk B, Ward WE, Gammage KL, and Klentrou P. Mechanical, biochemical and dietary determinants of the functional model of bone development in children. Appl. Physiol. Nutr . Metab . , 42: 780–787, 2017.
- Kurgan N, Tsakiridis E, Kouvelioti R, Moore J, Klentrou P, and Tsiani E. Inhibition of human lung cancer cell proliferation and survival by post-exercise serum is associated with inhibition of Akt, mTOR, p70 S6K and Erk1/2. Cancers , 9: 46, 2017 [doi:10.3390/cancers9050046].
- Klentrou P. Influence of exercise and training during critical stages of bone growth and development. Ped. Exerc . Sci. , 28(2): 178-186, 2016. (Invited review)
- Allison D, Josse AR, Gabriel DA, Klentrou P, and Ditor DS. Targeting inflammation to influence cognitive function following spinal cord injury: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Spinal Cord , 21 June 2016. [ doi:10.1038/sc.2016.96].
- Moore J, Megaly M, MacNeil AJ, Klentrou P, and Tsiani E. Rosemary extract reduces Akt/mTOR/p70S6K activation and inhibits proliferation and survival of A549 human lung cancer cells. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy , 83:725-732 , 2016.
- Klentrou P, Giannopoulou A, McKinlay B, Wallace P, Muir C, Falk B, and Mack D. Salivary cortisol and testosterone responses to resistance and plyometric exercise in 12-14 year old boys. Appl. Physiol. Nutr . Metab . , 41: 1-5, 2016.
- Lamarche L, Gammage KL, Kerr G, Faulkner G, and Klentrou P . Psychological and cortisol responses to a body image threat: addressing the challenges of actual threat exposure in an ethical manner. SAGE Open , 1-9, April-June 2016. [ doi : 10.1177/2158244016642378].
- Falk B, Haddad F, Klentrou P, Ward W, Kish K, Mezil M, and Radom- Aizik S. Differential sclerostin and parathyroid hormone response to exercise in boys and men. Osteoporosis Int ., 27(3): 1245-1249 , 2016 .
- Chirico C, Liu L, Klentrou P, Shoemaker JK, and O’Leary DD. Examining the effects of sex and pubertal maturation on cardiovagal baroreflex sensitivity in children and adolescents. J. Pediatrics , 167(5): 1067–1073, 2015.
- Kish K, Mezil Y, Ward WE, Klentrou P, and Falk B. Effects of a single session of plyometric exercise on markers of bone turnover in boys and men. Eur. J. Applied Physiol., 115: 2115–2124, 2015.
- Cook O, Frost G, Twose D, Wallman L, Falk B, Galea V, Adkin A, and Klentrou P . CAN-flip: a pilot gymnastics program for children with cerebral palsy. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly , 32: 349-370, 2015 .
- Akseer N, Kish K, Rigby WA, Greenway M, Klentrou P, Wilson PM, and Falk B. Does bracing affect bone health in women with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis? Scoliosis , 10:5, 2015. [ doi : 10.1186/s13013-015-0031-1].
- Chirico D, Wade T, Cairney J, Klentrou P, and O’Leary D. Evidence of a hyperkinetic state in children with elevated blood pressure. Ann. Human Biol. , 42(3): 246-252, 2015.
- Mezil Y, Allison D, Kish K, Ditor D, Tsiani L, Ward W, and Klentrou P . Response of bone turnover markers and cytokines to high-intensity low-impact exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc ., 47: 1495-1502, 2015.
- Human Systems Anatomy and Physiology
- Exercise Physiology
- Growth and Development
- Fellow, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP), 2020
- Marilyn Rose Graduate Leadership Award, 2017
- Graduate students’ nominee for the Graduate Mentorship Award, 2013
- Undergraduate Students’ nominee, TVO’s Best Lecturer competition, 2010
- Chancellor’s Chair for Research Excellence Award, 全球电竞直播 , 2009 Current Research Funding:
- Award for Distinguished Research & Creative Activity, 全球电竞直播 , 2006