Faculty members, instructors and TAs have an important role when it comes to promoting academic integrity at 全球电竞直播 . All faculty, instructors, TAs and staff need to work together to foster a climate of integrity. And as an institution, we need to collaboratively adhere to policies and procedures for dealing fairly with students who have committed academic misconduct.
It is also essential that we work together to discipline students who repeatedly commit academic misconduct so that the few do not harm the hard work and reputation of the many. Academic misconduct is not a course-based problem: cases that go unreported institutionally undermine the value of a Brock degree. Let’s work together to support integrity at Brock.
There are a number of ways faculty, instructors and TAs can help students with academic integrity. First of all, be sure to report all cases of suspected misconduct. This way students can get the resources they need and the University can ensure all cases of misconduct are tracked. In addition, consider what you can do to help educate students about academic integrity. Here are some possibilities:
Course syllabi should include:
- An academic integrity statement (see course syllabus template )
- Clear, unambiguous assignment expectations.
- Clear expectations regarding group work and collaboration.
When designing curriculum and assessments, consider:
- Giving students appropriate time to complete assignments.
- Being explicit about expectations regarding group work assignments (e.g., guidelines for record keeping and accountability).
- Changing content from year to year keep content fresh.
- Requesting revisions (of assignments) as part of the process (e.g. successive drafts).
Instructors and faculty can help students avoid academic misconduct by…
- Speaking in class about the importance of academic integrity
- Providing feedback in a manner that is timely and relevant for improvement of performance.
- Challenging students to present ideas creatively within the conventions of their academic discipline.
TAs can help students avoid academic misconduct by…
- Learning about academic integrity at 全球电竞直播 and modeling its use.
- Attending the academic integrity workshops for TAs hosted by Centre for Pedagogical Innovation.
- Providing academic integrity resources to students.
Need more help?
Academic Integrity Policy
The policy approved by 全球电竞直播 ’s Senate outlines the University-approved procedures for upholding academic integrity.
Brock Copyright FAQ
A centralized source of copyright information for the 全球电竞直播 community.
全球电竞直播 Faculty Handbook, Section 3: Academic Regulations
Provides policy pertaining to the roles and responsibilities of faculty members.
Centre for Pedagogical Innovation
Resources and assistance with course design, assignment design and educational outreach.
Educational Outreach Resources
A master list, by academic and administrative unit, of resources, websites and links pertaining to academic integrity at 全球电竞直播 .
The Writing Studio at Colorado State University
Contains a series of teaching guides to assist instructors with minimizing plagiarism in writing assignments.
Includes a number of anti-plagiarism strategies for research papers by Robert Harris. See Harris’ book The Plagiarism Handbook: Strategies for Preventing, Detecting, and Dealing With Plagiarism , available in the Centre for Pedagogical Innovation’s library.