Associate Professor, Kinesiology
Canada Research Chair in Neuromuscular Mechanics and Ergonomics
Michael Holmes is an Associate Professor and Canada Research Chair in Neuromuscular Mechanics and Ergonomics. Mike’s research program integrates neurophysiology with biomechanics to understand upper extremity disorders. We interact with tools and objects every day. It is one of the most fundamental aspects of human movement. All too often, people leave work at the end of the day suffering from aches or pains. This influences performance at work and quality of life at home. Mike’s lab explores upper limb function to improve worker performance and minimize injury.
He is also an Adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology and a Graduate Faculty Member for the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College
- Communications Officer, Canadian Society for Biomechanics (elected)
- Member, Canadian Society for Biomechanics
- Member, International Society of Electrophysiology & Kinesiology
- Member, American Society of Biomechanics
- Member, Association of Canadian Ergonomists
- Member, Neural Control of Movement
Kassee C, Hunt C, Holmes MWR , Lloyd M. Nintendo Wii versus resistance training to improve upper-limb function in children ages 7 to 12 with spastic hemiplegic cerebral palsy: a home-based, feasibility study. Accepted, Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine , March 2017.
Zabihhosseinian M , Holmes MWR , Howarth S, Ferguson B , Murphy B. Neck muscle fatigue differentially alters scapular and humeral kinematics during humeral elevation in subclinical neck pain participants versus healthy controls. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology , 33, 73-82, 2017.
Forman DA , Richards M, Forman G , Holmes MWR , Power KE. Changes in corticospinal and spinal excitability to the biceps brachii with a neutral versus pronated handgrip position differ between arm cycling and tonic elbow flexion. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience . DOI: 10.3389/fnhum.2016.00543.
Forman DA , Baarbe J , Daligadu J, Murphy B, Holmes MWR . The effects of upper limb posture and a sub-maximal gripping task on corticospinal excitability to muscles of the forearm. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology , 27, 95-101, 2016.
Baarbe J , Holmes MWR , Murphy HE , Haavik H, Murphy BA. Subclinical neck pain impairs the ability to perform a mental rotation task: A four week longitudinal study with a healthy control group comparison. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics , 39(1), 23-30, 2016.
Gruevski KM , Holmes MWR , Gooyers CE, Dickerson CR, Callaghan JP. Lumbar postures, seat interface pressures and discomfort responses to a novel thoracic support for police officers during prolonged simulated driving exposures. Applied Ergonomics , 52, 160-168, 2016.
Holmes MWR , DeCarvalho D , Karakolis T, Callaghan JP. An electromyographic evaluation of abdominal and lower back muscle activity while performing core exercises on a stability ball and a dynamic office chair. Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society , 57(7), 1149-1161, 2015.
Zabihhosseinian M , Holmes MWR , Murphy BA. Neck Muscle Fatigue Alters the Cervical Flexion Relaxation Ratio in Sub-Clinical Neck Pain Patients. Clinical Biomechanics , 30(5), 397-404, 2015.
Zabihhosseinian M , Holmes MWR , Murphy BA. Neck muscle fatigue alters upper limb proprioception. Experimental Brain Research , 233(5), 1663-1675, 2015.
Noguchi M , Gooyers CE , Holmes MWR , Callaghan JP. The impact of compressive force magnitude on the in vitro neutral zone range and passive stiffness during a flexion-extension range of motion test. Cogent Engineering , 2(1), 1-9, 2015.
Holmes MWR , Tat J , Keir PJ. Neuromechanical Control of the Forearm Muscles during Gripping with Sudden Flexion and Extension Wrist Perturbations. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering , 18(16), 1826-1834, 2015.
Tat J , Holmes MWR , Keir PJ. Cycle to cycle variability in a repetitive upper extremity task. Ergonomics, 57(9), 1405-1415, 2014.
Holmes MWR and Keir PJ. Muscle Contributions to Elbow Joint Rotational Stiffness during Sudden External Arm Perturbations. Journal of Applied Biomechanics , 30(2), 282-289, 2014.
Holmes MWR , MacKinnon CD, Dickerson CR and Callaghan JP. The effects of police duty belt and seat design changes on lumbar spine posture, driver contact pressure and discomfort. Ergonomics , 56 (1), 126-136, 2013.
MacKinnon SN, Matthews J, Holmes MWR , Albert WJ. The effect of platform motions upon the biomechanical demands of lifting tasks. Occupational Ergonomics , 10 (3), 103-112, 2012.
Holmes MWR , Howarth SJ, Callaghan JP, Keir PJ. Biomechanical properties of the transverse carpal ligament during biaxial testing. Journal of Orthopedic Research, 30 (5), 757-763, 2012.
Holmes MWR and Keir PJ. Posture and hand load alter muscular response to sudden arm perturbations. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 22 (2), 191-198, 2012.
- Functional and Ergonomic Assessment
- U.S. Provisional Patent (Application No.: 62/279795), Entitled: Polymer Gel Products with Physiological and Biomechanical benefits and/or Monitoring.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) – Tier 2 Canada Research Chair
- Canada Foundation for Innovation & Ontario Research Fund for Small Infrastructure Funds (CFI’s John R. Evans Leaders Fund)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) – Engage Grant
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) – Discovery Grant
- Australian Spinal Research Foundation
- Centre of Research Expertise for the Prevention of Musculoskeletal Disorders
Technical Reports/ Industrial Contracts
- Holmes MWR, Forman G, Agelin-Chaab M, Williams-Bell M, Dogra S. Evaluating human performance and the physical demands associated with cycling in simulated environments. Prepared for General Motors of Canada. 40 pages. December 2016.
- Holmes MWR, Shivpaul R, Breitner V, Forman G. The Notion Medical IV Crane Improves Upper Extremity Posture and Reduces Muscle Activity During IV Pole Use. Prepared for Notion Medical Inc. 30 pages. October 2016.
- Callaghan JP, Holmes MWR, De Carvalho DE, Karakolis T. Evaluation and Design Progression of a Multi-axis Office Chair Seat Pan Mechanism. Prepared for Core Chair Inc. 45 Pages. June 2012.