FAQs for Students, Faculty and Staff

FAQs for Aboriginal Students

FAQs for Faculty and Staff

Aboriginal Student Services, located in Thistle 145 is an excellent resource for both faculty and students. AbSS can recommend books, journals, media, speakers, and assist in any other way required. In addition, these resources will assist the faculty to better introduce the Aboriginal perspective within class context.

Often moving to another community is a difficult transition. If you encounter students who appear to be in need of cultural guidance, refer the students to Aboriginal Student Services, where staff will assist the student and, if needed, refer to Personal Counselling Services for additional supports. Visit the Partners page for links to additional community agencies. For more specific information talk to our staff.

According to the Human Rights Code and the Canadian Constitution, Aboriginal Rights, including the right to practice ceremonial observances, is upheld. If a student has requested time away to attend ceremony and will be missing classes, the student should make arrangements with their professor in advance of the missed time.

Please contact one of our staff members at https://brocku.ca/aboriginal-student-services/contact-us/ and we will be happy to work with you to arrange training.

Aboriginal issues:  Our Staff can assist with numerous topics, either through personal information, or research suggestions. A resource library is also available, which includes texts and videos. Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal students are welcome to drop in or make an appointment to browse our materials on-site.

Spiritual issues:  Spiritual, cultural and ceremonial issues pertaining to the Aboriginal people are wide ranging. Our Staff can refer students to either our visiting Elders or to appropriate community agencies.

Elder-in-Residence:  Spiritual, cultural and ceremonial issues pertaining to the Aboriginal person can be discussed with our Elder-in-Residence.