Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

We understand that it can be overwhelming to study in another country, and so please check out our answers below to the most common questions about studying in Canada and at Brock!

Immigration, Travel, & UHIP

Study Permits

You will find the requirements for a study permit on the following official IRCC websites:

If you are eligible for SDS stream, to apply under the SDS stream, students need to show  proof that they have paid their first-year tuition fees . As long as the amount you have paid matches the figure suggested in your offer letter for estimated one-year tuition fees, it should work for your application.

Once you have successfully made the payment, you can use:

  1. The transaction receipt you get from the bank for transferring the tuition fees to Brock;  PLUS
  2. A screenshot of your student financial history ( to show this amount has been received by Brock.

First and foremost, you should monitor your study permit application status and use the IRCC webform  to inquiry about your status.  

If you still don’t receive the approval by the time you have to start your term, consider deferring your program to the next semester.

  • If you choose to do this, please contact before the semester starts to request a deferral .

It depends. To complete your degree, as long as online courses in a full-time course load are available and you are content with the courses, it is possible to remain online.

  • NOTE: After August 31, 2022, any time you spent studying outside of Canada won’t count towards the length of a PGWP .

There are two different documents:  study permit  and  visa or eTA . For both documents, our website has information about how you can  request Brock documents.

Study Permit Extension
Application Guide Here

Renewed Visa Application


There are a lot of things to consider before traveling so that you don’t encounter any issues. Generally, you will need to do the following:

  1. Determine if you meet the criteria for traveling to Canada
  2. Learn about Canadian border requirements to avoid any surprises
  3. Prepare for your travels as soon as possible

For more details on the suggested steps to take, we highly encourage you to review ALL the information provided on our International Student Travel Requirements page , including the Resources Upon Arrival section.

Confirmation of Enrollment letters may only be requested for academic sessions where registration exists. You can request your Confirmation of Enrollment letter directly on your portal. Please click  here  for more details and instructions!

For Graduate Students:  You can also find other student forms  here .

There is currently no transportation provided by Brock. However, there are some other, great services in the area that can support you!

Work Permits & SINs

Learn all about Career & Settlement here

International Students in Canada can work without a work permit, if they meet the  eligibility requirements :

  • They have a valid study permit;
    • Their study permit has proper conditions allowing them to work on OR/AND off campus;
  • They have a SIN;
  • They are full-time, studying in their academic term. For a definition of full-time, please see here .
    • If they maintained full-time enrollment before and after a scheduled break, they can work full-time off-campus during the scheduled break.
    • Brock students can use Brock important dates  to determine when their scheduled breaks start and end;

A few notes:

  • Taking courses in a scheduled break won’t affect students’ eligibility to work full-time during the break, if they meet the requirements to do so;
  • As long as students maintain full-time enrollment,
    • There is no limitation about hours for on-campus jobs.
    • They can work up to 20 hours per week for off-campus employers during an academic term

Check out the information provided on our Immigration page for information on how to apply for your SIN.

As long as you apply  for your PGWP before your study permit expires, you can stay in Canada and work full time, if you meet the eligibility.

You can show a future employer that you are able to work legally by giving them a copy of required documents (as outlined here ).

UHIP (Health Insurance)

Learn all about UHIP here

There are two different types of health plans for Brock students in Undergraduate or Graduate programs:

  • Primary –  UHIP : Covers eligible medically necessary health services and medical treatments. Essentially, when you see a doctor, go to a hospital, or do a medical test, you use UHIP.
  • Supplementary  –  BUSU/GSA Health & Dental (Student VIP plans): Has drug coverage, extended health coverage, vision coverage, dental coverage, etc. Essentially, when you buy medicine, see a dentist, take eye exams, or have to buy glasses, you use your StudentVIP.

Check out our Health Insurance (UHIP) & Wellness Page for more details!

Students are generally enrolled automatically at the beginning of the term, based on registration information.

To find your UHIP card, you should receive an email to your Brock email with a copy of your card. If you have not seen that email by the beginning of the term, please check your “Junk Mail” folder.

  • You will not receive a physical card, but if you want a physical one, we suggest you print it out and have it laminated to avoid water damage!

To learn what is covered by UHIP, you can visit to learn more or contact the insurer directly (information is on your UHIP card).

It is recommended to visit a Preferred Provider who will bill the insurer directly for payment and you can avoid out-of-pocket expenses. Preferred Providers – Clinics/ Hospitals/ Labs/ Student Health Services in St. Catharines.

  • It is preferable to have a printed copy of a UHIP card with you, clinics and hospitals may not accept an electronic copy on your phone.
  • If you can’t show your printed UHIP card or the clinic is not a prefered provider, you can still go there. But you may be billed that day, or later, for the services provided and will have to file your claim for reimbursements.

Presenting your UHIP card is not a mandatory requirement when you arrive at the border. If you don’t receive your card prior to your departure, you can show the  Brock UHIP website  in case the Canadian Border Services Officer asks.

To best prepare for your upcoming travel, please refer to our  Travel Requirements website  to learn more.

UHIP can over dependents, but only if they are eligible. To be eligible, a dependent must be:

  • A legal, common-law spouse who is living with the eligible student. Your common-law relationship must have existed for at least 12 months.
  • A dependent child as  defined by UHIP .

If members of your family are considered dependents, please see our  website  for more details on how to enroll them.

You may be able to terminate your UHIP early and get a refund  if one of the following applies to you  &  you request for a refund by contacting  before March 1st :

  • You withdraw from your program
  • You complete your program early
  • You leave Canada for an uncertain period
  • You become eligible for OHIP coverage
  • You get a UHIP  exemption

You cannot get a refund for:

  • Scheduled breaks between terms, if this is the only period you’re applying for a refund.
  • After  March 1  of each academic year (except if you have OHIP or you are approved for an  exemption ).

Finances, Fees, & Technology

Finances & Fees

The Student Accounts and Financial Aid Office will have Brock Scholars Awards posted to student accounts by the end of August. If your scholarship is not posted on your Student Financial History by the beginning of the Fall term,

For undergraduates:  please email

For graduates:  please email

Note : if you are starting in a different term than the Fall (e.g., Winter, Spring/Summer), please also reach out to  or if you do not see it by the beginning of term.

Your Student Financial History will reflect all of your payments with due dates for each term that academic year. Please see below for an explanation of sample statements you may see:

[semester]$ Due as of  _____ : This number reflects your total amount for whichever semester is specified that is due on the date specified. Please note, once paid in full, the number will remain here for the academic year.

Due Now: This is what you need to pay for tuition by the date specified.
*If you do not have a credit/scholarship/award/bursary that has already been applied to your account, the amount at Due Now should match the balance at [semester]$ Due as of ______. Please note, after you have paid this amount in full and it is reflected on your student account, the amount at Due Now should be $0.

Total Amount Due:  This number reflects what is left to pay for the term. If you have paid all of your tuition for the previous term (e.g., Fall), this number should then match what is outstanding for your Winter$ Due as of the date specified.

For an overview of how to read your student account, please click  here .

Along with your tuition, 全球电竞直播 may charge you for the following:

  • Ancillary Fees:  These are assessed on a per credit and sessional basis. Most ancillary fees administered by Brock University are mandatory and governed by an Ancillary Fee Protocol established between the university and the  全球电竞直播 Students’ Union (BUSU)  for undergraduate students and the  Graduate Students’ Association (GSA)  for graduate students.
  • Program-specific fees:  Typical program fees can include co-op administration, placement and/or practicum fees for undergraduate students, and internship and work placement fees for graduate students.
  • Miscellaneous and administrative fees:  these are fees for service and may be incurred by a student as a result of a request or action.
  • Course specific fees:  These may be charged by 全球电竞直播 for the reasonable cost of such things as field trips, learning material and clothing retained by the student. Please consult course descriptions to identify if course specific fees apply.
  • Residence and meal plan fees:  these vary depending on the residence assigned and type of room. Meal plans are mandatory for certain residence facilities. For details consult the  Residence Services website .

Ancillary Fees

For undergraduates:

Most ancillary fees are mandatory and are governed by an Ancillary Fee Protocol established between 全球电竞直播 and the  全球电竞直播 Student’s Union (BUSU) . Please visit the Brock BUSU website for full details: .

For graduates:

Most ancillary fees administered by 全球电竞直播 are mandatory and governed by an Ancillary Fee Protocol established between the university and the students’ union. Ancillary fees are assessed on a per credit and sessional basis. The fees administered by the  Graduate Students Association  are established in accordance with their constitution.

Health & Dental Insurance Plan

Students with comparable coverage have the opportunity to opt-out through the  Student Health Plan website for undergraduates or graduates .


UHIP offers basic health care for eligible international non-residents studying or working at a participating Ontario university.  It is mandatory for all international students in Canada. If you have additional questions, please contact or visit our website .


To access to your account ,

  1. Log on to the  student self-serve portal .
  2. Go to “Student Self-Serve” (list on the left-hand side)
  3. Select “Student Financial History”

Your campus ID/Brock ID is different from your student ID.

  • Your Campus/Brock ID is the 2 letters, 2 numbers, and 2 letters (e.g., kl17td)
  • Your student ID is the 7-digit ID (ex. 7035678)

Your campus ID is the one that is usually used for anything you need to login to with Brock credentials (Sakai, email, ExperienceBU, etc.).

First, you need to make sure you registered for classes Though many students might have had their schedules made for them at other institutions, at Brock it is up to you to choose your own classes and register.  Once you have done that,

  1. Log on to the  student self-serve portal .
  2. Go to “Student Self-Serve”
  3. Select “Student Schedule”

Note:  if you have any online, asynchronous classes, they will not show up in this particular schedule as there isn’t a schedule time. However, they will be listed at the bottom of the schedule just to show you what you are taking in the selected time frame.

Courses, Class Formats, & Registration

Courses & Class Format

There are different class acronyms that you will see next to the description of your courses. These will tell you if your course will take place in-person or online:

  • LEC – Lecture. This means that your course will be in lecture-style, hosted completely in-person.
  • BLD – Blended. This means that your course will include both in-person AND online components.
  • HYF – Hyflex. This means that your course could be in-person OR online. On-campus and online students will be integrated through online interactions and engagement with synchronous learning opportunities. On-campus registration will be limited and online student will not be required to attend campus for any component of the course, including assessment.
  • ASY – Asynchronous. This means that your course will be fully online, with no scheduled meeting times. There will be a start and end date, as well as scheduled assignments and exams, but no real-time components.
  • SYN – Synchronous. This means that your course will be fully online, BUT will have scheduled meeting times via web or video conferencing. You are still expected to “attend” the class, but attendance will be online.
  • ONM – Blended – Online Mixed. This means that your course could have both asynchronous and synchronous components, but it is fully online.

Electives are simply courses that are not a part of the required courses for a student in a particular program. These courses are usually interest-based since the student has some choice as to what they would like to take. While there is not a specific “list” of electives, you can peruse courses that are of interest to you that are open to non-majors and are not part of your program requirements.

Context Credits are mandatory courses intended to provide you with a broad educational background. All students must complete at least one full credit from each of the following Faculties at Brock:

  • Humanities
  • Mathematics and Science
  • Social Sciences

Click here for a full list of context credits. Just be sure to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you are eligible to take certain courses.

A lecture is the main class where you will go over topics and lessons with the Professor. This can be given in-person or virtually, depending on the type of course you are in.

Seminars/Labs/Tutorials are smaller groups of students (about 25) from the lecture that generally meet once a week.

  • Seminars A small-group learning activity that allows for the discussion and application of course concepts .
  • Labs – Students observe, test and apply course concepts in a controlled setting, specialized for small-group learning (typically affiliated with a specific technology and/or facility).
  • Tutorials – A small-group learning activity that allows for application of course concepts.

Textbooks can be found at the Campus Store here . The books are found by searching for each of your classes by term. Just note that some texbooks may be ebooks (digital), some may be physical ones, and there may even not be textbooks listed.

If you have any questions about the textbook requirements for your courses, it is best to contact the instructor of your course directly .

Course Registration

Undergraduate students : 3.0 or more credits over the Fall/Winter semester to be considered full-time, with at least 1.5 credits in the Fall term and at least 1.5 credits in the Winter term.*

*If you start your program in Winter semester, you will need to be registered in at least 1.5 credits for the first Winter term to be full-time; if you start your program in Spring semester, you will need to be registered in at least 1.5 credits for the Spring term and 0.5 credits for the Summer term to be full-time, totalling 2.0 credits for the Spring/Summer semesters.

Please see Undergraduate Calendar for  the definition of Full and Part-Time Studies.

Graduate students : full-time/part-time status is not defined by credits, instead, graduate students’ status is defined according to the academic regulations.

Check  this webpage for information about 2022 Spring/Summer and 2022-23 Fall/Winter registration dates and information!

There are a few steps to registering for courses! For detailed instructions, check out Brock’s websites for undergraduate students and graduate students . You can also check out the Registrar’s Course Registration FAQ page !

NOTE: we highly recommend that you meet with your academic advisor to plan out which courses to choose for your upcoming term!

Once you have all your courses chosen and you are ready to register:

  1. Log onto and click “Register” on the self-serve menu.
  2. Simply type in the course code you are looking to enroll in and select the option that works best for your schedule.
  3. Selecting “Add” will automatically enroll you in the course. 

You can book an appointment with your advisor or you find your Academic Advisor’s direct contact information here .

Information on how to book an appointment with an Advisor can be found here .

Yes, you can make changes (add or drop courses) up until the final day that the registration system is open; this is generally in the second or third week of each term, but the times can vary!

Therefore, please check Brock’s Important Dates website to ensure you know when the last day to register for classes is for the specific term you want. If it has past the last day to register, then you will need to withdraw from the course (see below ).

NOTE: be aware that if you drop or withdraw from some courses, that may change your status to part-time, which could have an impact on your eligibility for certain immigration documents (e.g., work permits, PGWPs)

After the registration system is closed for a class’s specific duration (D1, D2, D3, etc.), students can withdraw from a course  (with financial penalty)  up to a certain date in the semester (to avoid academic penalty).

To withdraw, you can  go directly on your registration system  and choose the specific course you would like to withdraw from. It is important that you remember that you are only able to do this up to the final withdrawal date listed  here .

Note:  ALL withdrawals have financial penalties, but it is possible to avoid academic penalty if you submit your withdrawal request before the final withdrawal date.



To learn about the application process and deadlines, please visit Brock’s Residence page here .

If you are interested in living in Residence for the Spring/Summer term, click here .

You should email Residence to cancel the application as soon as you decide your travels.

This website provides additional details on cancelling before you move in . However, if you attempt to cancel after the move-in day, you will still charged early withdrawal fees .

Vaccinations & COVID

Yes! Under 全球电竞直播 ’s Vaccination Policy , all students, staff, faculty, librarians, and visitors must be fully vaccinated to participate in any on-campus activity at any Brock facility.

Click here to learn how to submit proof of vaccination.

If you received your COVID vaccinations outside of Canada, you can still get your proof of vaccination! Get your Canadian version of COVID-19 proof of vaccination by following the steps below:

  1. Report your vaccine received out of Ontario (or out of Canada)  here
  2. Get a  code  in the absence of OHIP card;  
  3. Get the  Canadian version of proof .

NOTE: Steps 1 and 2 may take a few days. Alternatively, you could complete this self-assessment and call the provided number for support.


We understand that international students need identification in everyday life and often, they do not have a license or other form of identification that is safe to carry around with them (e.g., it is dangerous to carry your passport with you at all times).

Therefore, we would suggest you apply for an Ontario Photo Card!

An Ontario Photo Card is a wallet sized card that provides government-issued identification to those Ontarians who do not have a driver’s licence, making it easier to do things such as open a bank account and any other activities that require official identification. You can learn more about it  here .

You can apply for an Ontario Photo Card in-person at a Service Ontario location near you. Check  here  to find a location near you.

An International Student Identification Card (ISIC) is for international and domestic students, and it is a card that can get you access to discounts in Canada !

It is NOT an official form of ID (please see our tab above for legal identification information), but it is free to graduate students and can be used to get deals in shopping, travel, museums, and much more. Click here to get your card or apply for a free one if you are a graduate student at Brock!