Students with disabilities

Government Assistance Programs

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) provides financial aid to students enrolled in full-time studies in post-secondary education. For students with a registered permanent disability, full-time study consists of a minimum 40 per cent course load (1.0 credit per term). For the purposes of the OSAP application, “permanent disability” is defined as a functional limitation caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts your ability to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies at a post-secondary level or in the labour force, and that is expected to remain with you for life.

You will be able to self-identify as a student with a permanent disability in  Section A: Personal Information of the OSAP application . Keep in mind that you must also register with the Student Development Centre at Brock. Canada student financial assistance regulations require that you submit documentation to demonstrate you have a permanent disability as defined above. You must provide a recent medical certificate, report or assessment (e.g., a learning disability assessment) completed by a qualified practitioner, or documentation proving that you are receiving federal and/or provincial disability assistance.

Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities

By submitting an OSAP application and self-identifying as a student with a permanent disability, you will be considered for the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities. You can receive this grant every year you are enrolled in post-secondary studies, including studies beyond the undergraduate level, provided you continue to meet the eligibility criteria.

Government grant/bursary programs

Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)/Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities (CSG-PDSE)

This bursary is designed for students who incur additional educational costs for services or equipment. To be considered for this program, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Apply and be considered eligible for a government assistance program;
  • Be enrolled in a designated post-secondary institution;
  • Have a permanent disability;
  • Have disability-related educational costs.

For more information or to apply for this program,  contact Student Accessibility Services .