Students eligible for domestic fees

All students not born in Canada must submit to the Office of the Registrar a proof of status document by the dates specified below.

Students who do not provide adequate supporting documentation by the due dates will not be eligible for tuition adjustments.

  • Fall term  – documents must be dated and received by November 1.
  • Winter term  – documents must be dated and received by February 1. Tuition will not be adjusted for courses which started in fall term.
  • Spring session  – documents must be dated and received by June 30.
  • Summer session  – documents must be dated and received by August 1.

For students whose immigration status changes after admission to the university, please submit documentation of the change to the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible. Adjustments will be made within the context of the above dates.

A citizen of Canada within the meaning of the Citizenship Act, or a person registered as an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act.

Required documentation:

  • If not born in Canada – Citizenship Card, or Citizen Certificate From Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Canadian Passport.
  • Canadian born – Birth Certificate

A permanent resident within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act:

  1. A person who has been granted “permanent resident” status and has not had that status revoked; or
  2. A person who has been approved “in-principle” for permanent resident status in Canada.

Required documentation:

  • Permanent Residence Card or Confirmation of Landing, or Record of Landing.
  • A letter which confirms that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has determined eligibility for immigration to Canada meets requirements.
  1. A person who is the dependent* of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent resident of Canada.
  2. A visitor, and his/her dependents*, who is authorized to work in Canada having been issued a work permit.


  • Graduate teaching assistant;
  • Work permit for co-op, internship or medical residency employment;
  • Work permit for post-graduate work;
  • Work permit issued as a result of the international student holding a valid Study Permit;
  • “Off-Campus Work Permit”;
  • “Open Work Permit”.

A visitor who is admitted to and remaining in Canada with official accreditation from the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, who has entered Canada, or is in Canada, to carry out her/his official duties as:

  • A diplomatic or consular officer or any dependents* of such personnel; or
  • A Canadian government-accredited representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies, of any intergovernmental organizations of which Canada is a member or any dependents* of such personnel; or
  • A member of a foreign military force or of a civilian component; thereof admitted to Canada under the Visiting Forces Act or any dependents* of such personnel.

Required documentation:

  • Work Permit and Student Permit and proof of dependence (see definition of dependent below)
  • Other available official document/letter

A person and his/her dependents*, who has been determined to be a protected person, including a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection, within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) or the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Required documentation:

  • Notice of Decision issued by Immigration and Refugee Board.

Dependents are defined as:

  • A spouse.
  • A common-law partner.
  • A dependent child or the dependent child of a spouse or common-law partner.
  • A dependent child of the dependent child referred to above.

A dependent child is a child who is a biological child who has not been adopted by a person other than the spouse or common-law partner, or an adopted child; and who is in one of the following situations of dependency:

  • Under age 22 and not a spouse or common-law partner;
  • Enrolled continuously at a college, university or other educational institution and dependent substantially on the financial support of the parent since before age 22 or since becoming a spouse. or common-law partner if that occurred before age 22; or
  • A person with a disability who has been financially supported substantially by his or her parents, and who is unable to be self-supporting because of the disability.

Required documentation:

  • Dependents: Marriage Certificate, or for common-law: an affidavit signed by both spouses, confirming that they are living together in a conjugal relationship for not less than three years, or that they are living together in a conjugal relationship and are raising any children of whom they both are the natural or adoptive parent.
  • Dependent Child: proof of financial dependency.